Thursday, January 11, 2007

many thanks

i'm grateful to have received a special award for my quilt "prayer flag" that is currently on exhibit in "Form not Function" at the Carnegie Center for Art and History, ( New Albany IN -- just across the river from Louisville KY.)
this is the announcement that kathy loomis made on quiltart last night.

"As many of you long-time quiltart readers know, I have a theory that I like to rant on, namely that I think the art quilt world is too nice, that we tend to avoid darker emotions and edgier subjects. I have speculated that one of the reasons this occurs is that we fear (rightly or wrongly) that dark quilts won't get juried into shows, or that they won't win prizes.Well, today I got to put my money where my mouth is.I served as a juror for Form, Not Function and today my job was to shut up and take notes while art quilter Penny Sisto judged the show. After she made her choices, I decided to donate an award for social and political commentary, and I plan to do this in future years as well. At least in this show, we are going to reward people who make quilts with an ax to grind.
I am thrilled to report that the winner of this award is our quiltart friend Claire Fenton. "

if you're in the area, visit the exhibit: it will be up through March 8. The opening party is Friday 1/12 from 6 to 8 pm at the Carnegie Center for Art and History, 201 E. Spring Street, New Albany IN -- just across the river from Louisville KY.

and if you do, please take px!

5 Comments:

Blogger vrgnamgnta said...

Congratulations! keep up the good commentary in your art...
Kathy
www.kathynida.com

7:37 PM  
Blogger Karoda said...

Congratulations! I'll get to see it tonight!

6:59 AM  
Blogger lizzieb said...

Claire, I am so happy to see these pieces receiving the recognition they so deserve! Congrats...and now on to your new work!

8:59 AM  
Blogger cfent said...

thanks everybody! kathy..i love the work on your new site.
karoda...ditto...have fun at the opening. will be anxious to hear about it..would love for someone to do a review of it.
lizzieb...wish i could make it to texas to visit. y'all have FUN>
can't wait to see YOUR new work too!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Liz Plummer said...

Huge congratulations, Claire - you deserve it. I wish I could see it in the flesh.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home